Starwood Vacation Ownership promises a new way to vacation in style with their renowned collection of Westin timeshares and Sheraton timeshares located in the United States, the US Virgin Islands, Mexico and even the Bahamas at the Harborside Resort at Atlantis.
All Starwood Vacation Ownership properties are sold as either a fixed week or floating week. This applies to Westin timeshares and Sheraton timeshares as well.
To view the details of the Vistana and Marriott merger announcement, click on:
Click on the following link to get the exciting details about the opening of the newest Westin timeshare resort: Westin Nanea Ocean Villas to open April 15, 2017
To read about the official opening of the Westin Nanea Ocean Villas on Maui, please click on:
Beginning in January 2014, Starwood Vacation Ownership was enhanced by the following new benefits:
Between 12 and 8 months prior to arrival:
Owners can now make Home Resort reservations on line and receive an email confirmation.
Owners can select a 7 night stay at their Home Resort with a choice of Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival, based on the Villa type and Season owned.
Owners with fixed weeks now have to reconfirm their dates at least 10 months in advance.
In addition to these new enhancements, Starwood Vacation owners enjoy the following benefits:
From 12 to 8 months in advance of the check-in date, both fixed and float week owners of Starwood timeshares enjoy the Home Resort Preference Period. As long as you make your reservations 12 to 8 months in advance Starwood timeshare owners can confirm their reservations in the type of unit in the view category that they own at their Home Resort before any weeks become available for exchange.
Starting 8 to O months in advance:
The Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) Float Period allows owners to use their StarOptions to reserve a vacation for nightly stays (or more) and owners now have the option to check in any day of the week in any Season and any Villa type at any of the Starwood villa resorts. Owners can also borrow StarOptions from the next Use Year. Starwood timeshare owners can also use their StarOption benefits to give them access to other Starwood Vacation Ownership properties. In addition, Starwood timeshare owners have the benefit of membership exchanges through Interval International.
What is the difference between StarOptions and Starpoints?
It’s important to understand that StarOptions and Starpoints are different.
StarOptions entitle you to a timeshare vacation at any of the Starwood Vacation Villas. StarOption benefits transfer on timeshare resales on all Starwood Vacation Ownership Mandatory Resorts. All Owners with StarOptions benefits may request StarOptions Banking by calling Owner Services no later than July 1. Three and Four-Star Elite Members may request until October 1, and Five-Star Elite by December 31. StarOptions can be rolled over for 2 calendar years.
To view the Starwood StarOptions chart, click on: StarOptions Chart.
To review how Westin StarOption banking and borrowing works, click on: Westin StarOption Banking and Borrowing
Starpoints relates to converting your Starwood Vacation Villas StarOptions to Starpoints which can then be used to stay in Starwood Hotels, make airline reservations, reserve a car and purchase merchandise.
What is the difference between purchasing Westin timeshares or Sheraton timeshares direct from the developer and purchasing a Westin timeshare resale or Sheraton timeshare resale on the secondary market of timeshare resale?
1. You can make a reservation up to 12 months in advance at your home resort in the size and view type you own. All reservations are date and time stamped. Room assignments are based on when you made the reservations. Developer and resale owners are treated exactly the same.
2. If you own a two bedroom lock-off unit, you have the option of splitting it into a one bedroom premium and a studio premium villa. Developer and resale are exactly the same.
3. You have StarOption benefits which entitle you to make reservations into any Starwood Vacation Villa up to 8 months in advance for Mandatory resort resales only. Reservations are taken on a first come, first served basis. Developer and resale are exactly the same. Note: If you purchase a timeshare resale at a Voluntary resort, you do not get StarOption benefits.
4. Beginning 90 days prior to the arrival date, an Owner can make reservations in daily increments at any Starwood Vacation ownership Resort. Developer and resale are exactly the same.
5. Interval International (II) membership and all Interval International benefits. Developer and resale are exactly the same for Mandatory Resort owners. Voluntary Resort resale buyers can enroll into Interval International at their own expense.
6. Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program – Gives you the option to convert into StarPoints. StarPoints conversion rights are not available on a resale purchase.
What is the difference between purchasing a Starwood timeshare resale at a “Mandatory Resort” versus a “Voluntary Resort” and why is it important?
There are six “Mandatory Resorts” which participate in the StarOptions program which is also known as the Starwood Vacation Network or SVN. They are:
- Westin Ka anapali Ocean Resorts Villas, Lahaina, Maui
- Westin Ka anapali Ocean Resorts Villas North, Lahaina, Maui
- Westin Kierland Villas, Scottsdale, Arizona
- Westin St. John Villas (Hillside Phase), St. John, US Virgin Islands
- Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West Phases), Orlando, Florida
- Harborside Resort at Atlantis (Phases I and II), Paradise Island, Bahamas
The most important factor about purchasing a timeshare resale in a “Mandatory Resort” is the owner is allowed to participate in the Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) and exchange into other Starwood Vacation properties. Purchasing a timeshare resale in a Voluntary Resort will not allow the owner to participate in the Starwood Vacation Network (SVN).
If being able to exchange into other Starwood Vacation properties is NOT important to you, you might want to consider purchasing a Westin timeshare resale or Sheraton timeshare resale at one of the following 14 “Voluntary Resorts”:
- Westin Princeville Ocean Resort, Princeville, Kauai
- Westin Nanea Ocean Resort Villas, Maui, Hawaii
- Westin St. John Villas Bay Vista Villas and the Coral Vista/ Sunset Bay Villas, St. John, USVI
- Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, Mexico
- Westin Desert Willows Villas, Palm Desert, California
- Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas, Rancho Mirage, California
- Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, Avon, Colorado
- Sheraton Mountain Vista, Avon, Colorado
- Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas, Steamboat Springs, Colorado
- Lakeside Terrace, Avon/Vail, Colorado
- Sheraton Desert Oasis, Scottsdale, Arizona
- Sheraton PGA Vacation Resort, Port St. Lucie, Florida
- Sheraton Vistana Resort, Orlando, Florida
- Sheraton Vistana Villages (Amelia and St. Augustine Phases), Orlando, Florida
- Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Villas of Cave Creek, Cave Creek, Arizona
Starwoodvacationnetwork.com has officially changed to vistana.com.
Vistana Signature Experiences is the name of the new company, (formerly Starwood Vacation Ownership) and is the exclusive provider of Westin and Sheraton vacation ownership through the Vistana Signature Network.
For additional information, check out our videos and blog resources:
What to look for when buying a timeshare resale:
Buying a Westin timeshare resale or a Sheraton timeshare resale on the secondary market is much less expensive than purchasing direct from the developer because of the fact that the developer incurs marketing costs that are passed on to the consumer. It is the developer who sets the price on the retail market. On the secondary market of timeshare resale, prices are determined by individuals and current market conditions.
A timeshare interval should be purchased for enjoyment. The purchase of a Westin timeshare resale or a Sheraton timeshare resale ensures that you will be able to vacation and spend quality time with your family and friends each year. You might want to think of it as vacation insurance for all your future vacations!
Syed Sarmad, Principal Broker for Advantage Vacation